Tuesday, June 16, 2009

sad day - goodbye Hazel

Today was a sad day, I found out that a friend died over the weekend. She drown. I do not want this to be an eulogy - truth is I knew her but I don't think I really knew well enough to eulogize her.
She was a good woman with a generous heart,but she also had her struggles. She burned many bridges and towards the end of her life had shut out many people who really had come to care for her. It is so hard to see people struggling and not know how to help them or even if it is your place to do so. How do you balance people's right to independence to step forward towards their own destiny, with their personal safety. When do you step in and take those rights away - what is the line that needs to be crossed when you think someone is a harm to themselves or others.
I am not saying I think that Hazel committed suicide - the truth is I don't know the details. However, she was in a dark place and was withdrawing from friends and support systems.
I find that because I work in a position as a helper(advocate and councilor) much of the time I tend to steer away from giving advice to friends as I am often worried of crossing the line of friendship and work - in this case that barrier I have created for myself may have let my friend down. I will need to re-examine that.
So goodbye Hazel hopefully you are at peace now.

No comments: