Friday, June 12, 2009

A Bus Rant!

I know this does not necessarily fall into poverty news but it is related. I am talking about the either you love it or hate it bus. I have always had this love hate relationship with the bus. I don't have a car and even though Halifax is a small city you sometimes need wheels to get to where you want to go. I would use a bike but this plays into the rant. I have been having trouble with the arthritis in my knees and ankles so I have been using a cane for the last year, so the bike is out for now. If I need wheels it is either paying through the nose for a cab or forking out a couple of dollars for the bus. I'm poor, so the bus will wins out most of the time. Now with the new bus rule that a transfer is good for 1.5hours and does not need to be for a continuous trip it is even better for errands than before as it cuts the cost of transportation in half for a short shopping trip.
The bus rant!
Sit down,
please if there is a seat available sit in it
if you want to get up and give it to someone who needs it great, do that
but if no one is looking for a seat, please sit
when you stand you always tend to hang at the doors blocking the way in and out
as a person with a cane you make my exit and entrance of the bus very difficult
so if you are really keen to stand or if there is a problem with your bottom and it is difficult for you to sit, go to the very back of the bus away from both doors, I can assure you standing back there is very exciting, as you will be able to enjoy the full swinging motion of the bus and those of us with mobility difficulties will be able to enter and exit with more ease

No comments: