Sunday, July 5, 2009

Advocacy and Activisim

I tend to have my best and most enlightening conversations on the Commons a public field about a block from my living space. Yesterday's dialogue really brought home to me one of the most challenging parts of my role as an advocate. It is understanding the difference between advocacy and activism. This person related to me that he had had been fighting this particular issue for years and had not been able to get it successfully resolved. After reviewing the issue it was not a matter of being treated fairly it was that the rules did not fit his situation and could not be used to resolve the issue. He needed new, better rules.

Basically in the terms of the service role I provide, advocacy is about the rules and whether or not they have been applied correctly and if I can assist the person I am working with to get the best treatment possible under the rules- not whether or not the rules are fair. Activism is about challenging those rules and lobbying to change those unfair rules. It may also mean going outside those rules for equity and justice to get the best resolution.

If we cannot clearly see the difference as it relates to what we are looking for- we spend great amounts of our time spinning our wheels, getting very frustrated and never getting our issue resolved. So bottom line if you think the rule is not applied correctly - get an advocate - however if you think the rule is not fair.....be an activist and find a way to challenge and change it.
Challenging the rules - basic
gather allies (friends, like minded people who will be on your side - people with similar issues)
listen to each other
look at what you want changed and discuss options on how to make that happen (research)
understand and discuss the consequences of the actions you take on yourself and others
make an action plan and implement it
contact the media
contact the decision makers - rule makers (politicians and senior bureaucrats)
keep at it until you get the results you want/need

lots can be added to this - but that is a basic outline - your activism can change the world use it widely and wisely! As many Advocates I find that I must also be an Activist as I know the rules are often unfair and I want to change that.

No comments: